Carrington, St John the Evangelist

2009: rebuild and relocation, from chancel to west end gallery, of the 2-manual Yates organ, 31 stops.

The organ was originally built for the house of a Mr A E Allen in Radcliffe-on-Trent by Roger Yates in about 1930. The organ was moved to Carrington in 1949 by Hill, Norman & Beard and installed in a small chamber which then separated the chancel from the north aisle Lady Chapel. In 1991 it was modernised and a new action installed by Wood of Huddersfield. Later, the re-ordering of the church necessitated removal of the organ to a new west end gallery.

Relocation to the new west end gallery allowed for the expansion of the limited 8-stop Swell division to 12 stops. An additional ‘Yates’ soundboard was installed for Principal, Mixture and Trompette, and a new Bassoon 16ft / Oboe 8ft electric chest was installed. An Open Wood 16ft was installed on the Pedal at the rear of the organ. The structural swell box (12ft wide x 8ft deep) is at the lower level, with Great and Pedal divisions above.

The new case, designed by the church architect, was built in-house by Jonathan Wallace.

Violone (Pedal) 16
Open Diapason 8
Claribel Flute 8
Viola 8
Octave 4
Fifteenth 2
Mixture 19.22.26
Posaune 8
Oboe (Swell) 8
Swell octave to Great
Swell to Great
Geigen 8
Bourdon 8
Salicional 8
Vox Angelica (ten.C) 8
Principal 4
Flute Ouverte 4
Octavin 2
Cornet 12.17
Mixture 15.19.22
Bassoon 16
Trompette 8
Oboe 8
Swell octave
Swell unison off
Swell suboctave
Open Diapason 16
Violone 16
SubBass 16
Quint 10 2/3
Principal 8
Flute 8
Fifteenth 4
Octave Flute 4
Posaune 16
Bassoon (Swell) 16
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Great & Pedal combs coupled
5 thumb pistons to Great
5 thumb pistons to Swell
5 toe pistons to Pedal
5 toe pistons to Swell
5 general thumb pistons
Tutti thumb piston
Reversible thumb piston Sw-Gt
Reversible thumb piston Gt-Ped
Reversible thumb piston Sw-Ped
General cancel piston
200 piston memory levels