Link to Home pageimage icon: navigation menu

Henry Groves & Son Ltd

☎ 07973 214536

pipe organ builders · nottingham

Portfolio of new organs


St Michael’s, Halam (2009)
2 manuals  28 stops

St Michael’s, Halam

The previous organ in the church was a ‘Chancel Model C’, built by Bevington of London in about 1870-1880, and had been restored in 1981. The manual stops were: Bourdon, Open Diapason, Stopt Diapason, Claribel, Dulciana, Principal. The pedals were German.

We installed a new organ in November 2009, built to the designs of Alec Wells and Paul Hale, the Diocesan Organ Advisor. Taking up little more floor space than the previous 5-stop, 1-manual Bevington instrument, our layout and limited use of ‘extension’ (whereby some ranks of pipes are used at different pitches to create more stops) has 28 speaking stops drawn from 7 ranks and 1,049 pipes. One rank (F) is arranged to speak down the south aisle, creating a Nave chorus to boost the volume of organ tone in the chancel. Many pipes are new; some are vintage.

Great

Open Diapason (D)8
Nave Diapason (F/D)8
Clarabella (G)8
Swell Gedackt (A)8
Principal4
Nave Principal (F)4
Open Flute (G)4
Fifteenth2
Nave Fifteenth (F)2
Cornet 12.17
Mixture 22.26.29
Swell Trumpet (E)8
Tremulant

Swell to Great
Swell suboctave to Great

Swell

Lieblich Gedackt (A)8
Salicional (B)8
Gemshorn (C)4
Stopped Flute (A)4
Nazard (A)2⅔
Fifteenth (C)2
Mixture 19.22.26
Trumpet (E)8
Clarion (E)4
Tremulant

Pedal

Violone (D)16
Bourdon (G)16
Principal (D)8
Bass Flute (G)8
Fifteenth (D)4
Bass Trumpet (E)16

Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Great & Ped combs

Accessories

6 thumb pistons to Great
6 thumb pistons to Swell
6 toe pistons to Pedal
6 general thumb pistons

reversible thumb piston Sw-Gt
reversible thumb piston Gt-Ped
reversible toe piston Sw-Gt
reversible toe piston Gt-Ped

200 piston memory levels
MIDI recording system


Other new organs

Barcheston, St Martin’s (2019)
installation of a new 2-manual 12-rank organ
Newnham, St Mark’s (2015)
reconfiguration and enlargement of the 2-manual organ
Calverton, St Wilfrid’s (2012)
a five-rank two-manual and pedal direct electric modular organ
Balderton, St Giles (2010)
two-manual and pedal, 17-rank direct electric modular organ, sited on a mezzanine floor, with new low level terraced console
Selston, St Helen’s (2010)
Halam, St Michael’s (2009)
new 7-rank extension organ, utilising some old pipework
Mansfield Woodhouse, St Edmund’s (2008)
rebuild and repositioning of two-manual and pedal Willis organ, with mobile detached console, using the original case
Wingerworth, All Saints (2006)
Linby, St Michael’s (2005)
new instrument, using much previous pipework, in new divided case
Risley, All Saints (2005)
Smalley, St John’s (2004)
Melbourne, United Reformed Church (2002)
Darley Abbey, St Matthew’s (2000)
Whitwell, St Lawrence’s (2000)
Epperstone, Holy Cross (1999)
Calow, St Peter’s (1998)
Smalley, Baptist Church (1997)
Cleethorpes, Corpus Christi (1996)
Criccieth, New Jerusalem Chapel (1996)
Marlpool, Church of the Sacred Heart (1994)
church closed in 2004